GoCanadaVisas Logo
Study Permit


CALL US TODAY +44 (0) 208 123 1597

Study Permit

A study permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at their designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada for a limited period of time.

Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. You must apply before you travel and make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply.  

To be eligible to apply you will need to meet the following requirements:

  • Be accepted at a designated learning institution in Canada.
  • Prove that you have enough money to cover the first year of tuition, as well as living expenses and return transportation to his or her home country
  • Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada.
  • Satisfy the immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of the stay authorized by the study permit.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may request an applicant to complete a medical examination and if you wish to study in the province of Quebec  you will be required to obtain Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (Quebec Acceptance Certificate, or CAQ)

In some cases, you do NOT require a study permit to go to school in Canada:

  • If you are enrolled in a short-term course or program that is 6 months or less
  • If you are a family member, or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada, accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, you may not need a permit to study in Canada
  • If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you do not need a permit to study in Canada; however, if your family members including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements already mentioned
  • If you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in Canada, you do not need a permit to study in Canada

All other programs, longer than 6 months in length, DO require a study permit.

For further information on study permits, their terms and conditions, and whether you are eligible to apply, contact us for a consultation to discuss further.