GoCanadaVisas Logo
Electronic Travel Authorisation


CALL US TODAY +44 (0) 208 123 1597

Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA)

Certain visitors to Canada however, are exempt from the requirement to apply for a visa. Citizens of visa-exempt countries intending to travel to Canada by air are expected to have applied for an obtained an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before their departure to Canada.

The eTA became a mandatory entry requirement for these air travellers on March 15, 2016

Travellers do not need an eTA when entering Canada by land or sea.

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to or transiting through Canada. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

  • Exceptions to the  eTA  requirement  include citizens of the United States, who do not require a TRV or an eTA.  Canadian permanent residents do not need an eTA to fly to Canada, but they do need to travel with their Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or PR travel document. Otherwise, they may not be able to board their flight to Canada.
  • U.S. permanent residents need an eTA to fly to Canada (as well as their U.S. Green Card). They do not need an eTA if entering Canada by land or sea.
  • Students and temporary workers from eTA required countries who received their student or work permit before August 1, 2015, and intend to travel from and return to Canada by air need an eTA.

Unless otherwise exempt from the requirement to obtain a TRV or an eTA, individuals who require a TRV do not require an eTA, and vice versa.

For further information on eTA’s  and how to apply, contact us to discuss further.