GoCanadaVisas Logo
MI & I
Medical Issues and Inadmissibility


CALL US TODAY +44 (0) 208 123 1597

Medical Issues and Inadmissibility

Applications to immigrate to Canada or enter on a temporary basis may require a medical exam.

If you plan to visit for six months or less you generally do not require a medical exam, unless you plan to work in certain jobs such as:

  1. Jobs that bring you in close contact to people
  • workers in the health sciences field
  • clinical laboratory workers
  • patient attendants in nursing and geriatric homes
  • medical students admitted to Canada to attend university
  • medical electives and physicians on short-term locums
  • teachers of primary or secondary schools, or other teachers of small children
  • domestics
  • workers who give in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
  • day nursery employees and
  • other similar jobs
  1. Agricultural workers who have worked in specific countries for more than six months during the past year prior to the date they wish to enter Canada.

If you plan to visit for more than six months, you will need a medical exam if you:

  • Have lived temporarily for six or more months in a row in specific countries in the one year immediately before the date you want to enter Canada or
  • Will come to Canada to work in a job in which public health must be protected.
  • You are applying for a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa.

In most cases people get through this stage with no issue, however there are cases when an applicant may be refused entry on health grounds.

The main reasons are if the condition:

  • is likely to be a danger to public health or public safety, or
  • might reasonably be expected to cause excessive demand on health or social services

In certain circumstances, an individual who does not meet the Canadian medical requirements may be granted a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) to enter Canada.

Contact us today to discuss how we may be able to assist you with potential medical inadmissibility to Canada.