GoCanadaVisas Logo
Federal Skilled Trades Program


CALL US TODAY +44 (0) 208 123 1597

Federal Skilled Trades Program

As of January 1, 2015, the Federal Skilled Trades program is now managed under the new expedited electronic management system called Express Entry

Applicants must create a profile in Step 1 of the Express Entry process, and be ranked according to their personal qualifications.  Based on this ranking (out of a maximum 1,200 points), Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will make regular draws and send invitations to apply for permanent residence, to the highest ranked and most qualified candidates from the Express Entry profile pool.  Step 2 is to submit your application and supporting documentation to CIC for the permanent residence approval process, your qualifications will be verified and you will need to meet other security, medical and admissibility criteria.

The Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these major and minor groups of the NOC:

  • Major Group 72: industrial, electrical and construction trades;
  • Major Group 73: maintenance and equipment operation trades;
  • Major Group 82: supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production;
  • Major Group 92: processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators;
  • Minor Group 632: chefs and cooks, and;
  • Minor Group 633: butchers and bakers.

The minimum requirements to be eligible include:

  • Have at least two years of full-time (or an equal amount of part-time) work experience in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply;
  • Meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type B except for needing a certificate of qualification;
  • Meet the required language proficiency levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, listening);
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year, OR
  • A certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority;
  • You must be admissible to Canada;
  • You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

Canada is continually seeking qualified skilled trade workers as immigrants, to fill chronic shortages in many skilled worker categories across the country.

Contact us to book a consultation and find out how you may qualify under the Federal Skilled Trades program, for permanent residency status in Canada.