GoCanadaVisas Logo
Visitors Visa


CALL US TODAY +44 (0) 208 123 1597

Visitors Visa

If you wish to visit Canada you may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), a visitor’s visa prior to seeking admission to Canada. A TRV is an official document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show that they have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Citizens of certain countries must apply for a TRV prior to entering Canada.

In order to visit Canada, applicants must:

  • Have a valid travel document such as a passport and be in good health;
  • Satisfy an immigration officer that they have sufficient ties to their country of nationality such as employment, property or family so that the officer will be convinced that the applicant will leave Canada at the end of the visit;
  • Show that they will have enough money in order to support themselves during their stay in Canada.

In most cases, a visitor’s status does not allow an individual to work or attend school in Canada.

A TRV obtained overseas can either be issued on a single-entry basis or a multiple-entry basis. The maximum validity of a multiple entry visa is five years.

Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA)

Certain visitors to Canada however, are exempt from the requirement to apply for a visa. Citizens of visa-exempt countries intending to travel to Canada by air are expected to have applied for an obtained an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before their departure to Canada. Travellers do not need an eTA when entering Canada by land or sea.

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to or transiting through Canada. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

  • Exceptions to the  eTA  requirement  include citizens of the United States, who do not require a TRV or an eTA.  Canadian permanent residents do not need an eTA to fly to Canada, but they do need to travel with their Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or PR travel document. Otherwise, they may not be able to board their flight to Canada.
  • U.S. permanent residents need an eTA to fly to Canada (as well as their U.S. Green Card). They do not need an eTA if entering Canada by land or sea.
  • Students and temporary workers from eTA required countries who received their student or work permit before August 1, 2015, and intend to travel from and return to Canada by air need an eTA.

Unless otherwise exempt from the requirement to obtain a TRV or an eTA, individuals who require a TRV do not require an eTA, and vice versa.

For further information on visitor visas or eTA’s, their terms and conditions, and whether you are how to apply, contact us for a consultation to discuss further.