A person can move to Canada on a temporary or permanent basis.

People who are temporarily admitted to Canada are expected to leave Canada at the end of the authorized period, they are called Temporary Residents.

People who are permanently admitted are allowed to live, work and study in Canada on a permanent basis, they are called Permanent Residents.

Both categories have different options and requirements:

Permanent Residence
•Skilled Workers and Professionals – For individuals who will immigrate to Canada based on their own personal attributes.
•Family Sponsorship – To sponsor a family member to join you in Canada if you are a permanent resident.
•Business Class – For business people entering Canada as an investor, entrepreneur or self-employed.
•Canadian Experience Class – For Foreign Students and Temporary workers with at least two years Canadian Experience.
•Provincial Nominee Program – For nomination and applying to live in a particular province.

Temporary Residence
•Visitor Visa – For visitors wishing to come to Canada for a temporary purpose like a vacation.
•Work Permit – For people intending to work in Canada with a Job Offer.
•Study Permit – For study in Canada.